We’re doing the best we can to raise a “green baby”, while making changes in our life wherever we can . I’m not going to stand on a soap box, but adapting to a greener style of living is easier than many people seem to think it is. Nicholas hasn’t experienced many common baby ailments, and I’d like to think it’s because of the efforts we’ve made for him. At a Baby Talk session today, we were able to share information with other parents about products we have been using on Nicholas, so I thought I’d list them here:
- Motherease – cloth diapers & covers (previous post)
- Baby Butter – made by Rocky Mountain Soap Company – we use these as a pro-active barrier for wetness (during pregnancy, I used their Belly Butter – I don’t have a single stretch mark!)
- Calendula Gel – mady by Boiron (available at Pharmasave) – a homeopathic remedy for diaper rash (also good for cuts and sunburns)
- Camilia – mady be Boiron (available at Pharmasave) – a homeopathic remedy for teething pain (also recommended: Hyland’s Teething Tablets) (previous post)
- Pears – plain old glycerin soap, as recommended by our midwife
We’re going to make our own baby food, so I’ve just ordered a couple of books from Amazon: The Baby’s Table and Mommy Made and Daddy Too!. Patrick does 99.9% of the shopping and cooking in our home – I’m very thankful that he’s willing to do the extra work it will take to make food rather than buying jars at the store. He’s an amazing cook, so I expect he’ll create his own recipes in time, and possibly even have his own book one day!
Thanx to Tessa at the Boob Juice Factory for posting her experiences with introducing new foods to her son. They are a couple of months ahead of us, so we get to see what’s worked well (and not so well) with them as we start preparing to follow suit in a few weeks. Yikes! That means he’s almost 6 months old! Ugh!
My sister-in-law is also a great person to learn from – her family is one of the greenest I know. Her blog is full of great “green” ideas.
I’ve just added another blog to my blogroll – i hate snaps – a blogging dad who has some great posts on raising a green baby.
A new year’s toast to everyone taking an extra few minutes in their lives to make the world a healther place for all of us and our precious children!